20 things you can do with clear nail polish
As trips out of the house are currently limited to one outing a day and only for essential items, its difficult to find everything we may need in day to day life. There are a few items around the home that you may not know are multipurpose items, so we’ve compiled a list of 20 things you can do with clear nail polish! Some of the uses may surprise you!
- Waterproof labels whether it’s the address on an envelope to avoid it running in the rain or household items that are stored in damp places
- Repair tights by applying clear polish at the point of tear to prevent further laddering
- Add a dot onto the end of a thread to make feeding it through a needle easier
- Prevent laces from fraying by adding a dot at the tip
- Glue small objects together such as loose stones in costume jewellery
- Apply nail polish on a button thread to prevent it fraying and falling off
- Prevent new costume jewellery from tarnishing by coating with a thin layer of clear nail polish.
- Seal up splinters with a coat of clear nail polish. You can also use clear nail polish to seal small scuffs and dents in wood floors
- Use clear polish to seal reused envelopes
- Prevent rust rings caused by metal canisters like shaving cream in your bath or shower. Coat the base with clear nail polish and prevent those rings from occurring
- Secure small screws such as ones in glasses by spreading a thin layer of polish over the head of the screw to keep it secure.
- Dabbing a small amount of nail polish onto an insect bite blocks the oxygen to the area and will temporarily relieve the urge to scratch.
- You can also use clear polish to get rid of warts and prevent spreading the virus to others. The wart should be gone or greatly diminished in one week
- Coat brand new or freshly-shined belt buckles with a thin layer of varnish to prevent oxidation and ensure that the metal maintains its gleam.
- Cover saltshaker holes with clear polish to prevent too much salt coming out every time
- Although not a permanent solution clear nail polish can temporarily repair tiny holes in a car window screen. Clear nail polish will block the hole to stop insects or rain to coming in whilst you can have it properly repaired
- If your vehicle has suffered from small scratches or indents, time and general weather can lead to the area rusting or even becoming more noticeable and larger. Protect the affected area by covering with a layer of clear nail polish.
- Coat the head of the match and include some of the wood splint in clear nail polish for waterproof matches. Perfect for matches kept for outdoor use or campers
- Use clear polish on wooden hangers to prevent splinters tearing delicate clothes
- Use clear polish as a glue to customise items. You can use polish to add glitter or other small items to create personalised items.
Let us know if you have used nail polish to do any of the above before, or if there is anything you will try out in the future.